The Global & Community Action and Reconciliation Exploration Circle (REC) groups meet monthly to discuss the Social Justice Initiatives that KUC is currently concentrating on.
- Is currently looking at the possibility of hosting an annual environmental lecture funded through Ross Styles’ generous donation to KUC. Author Erin Kelsey is coming to TRU April 6th and we are exploring if she might come to speak at KUC as well. Ms. Kelsey will be discussing her 2020 book “Hope Matters: Why Changing the Way We Think Is Critical to Solving the Environmental Crisis”.
- Several of us attended a luncheon hosted by TRU for groups interested in partnering with them in their new Masters of Human Rights and Social Justice program. TRU is looking for community partners who are willing to take on student placements from the program.
- We have also been discussing how we can support the local Rallies for Ukraine, and perhaps help host Ukrainian refugees through the National United Church.
REC (Reconciliation Exploration Circle)
- We have recently created new signage for the outside of the church which will include a land acknowledgment. Watch for signs on the 3 main entrances to be installed in the coming weeks.
- We are also proposing that KUC provide an annual bursary to an Indigenous student at TRU.
- The 2022 Moose Hide Campaign and Red Dress Day will be commemorated during the Worship service on Sunday, May 1st.
- We are working on hosting several programs this year including Traditional cedar weaving, Apology Dice Project, KAIROS Blanket Exercise, and field trips to Indigenous events.
- everal KUC members are attending an evening event with Kúkpi7 (Chief) Rosanne Casimir & Mayor Ken Christian hosted by the Kamloops Chamber of Commerce, to network and discuss challenges and opportunities we face as we work towards an inclusive future.
- Watch for news and information at the REC Information Corner in the church foyer.
For more information on these events, or to join either Global or REC, please contact the KUC office.