Fun, funds and community! (photos)
Our KUC Christmas Cookie sale is a fun raiser and a fund raiser, and a valued gift to and for KUC and to the wider community.
When asked about the “KUC Christmas Cookie Walk”, Barb (our Cookie Walk coordinator) explained:
- “fun is had by folk who have never baked before, and by experienced bakers alike
- funds raised are used for church programs – keeping the building going for 12 step groups, the preschool, PIT Stop, our Global movie nights, the Labyrinth Walks, Jazz Vespers, events such as our recent Privilege Forum, or past events such as the Jesus Fatwah or the forum on Medically Assisted Dying. Of course these events are open to anyone who wishes to attend not just church folk!
- new friendships are created, new skills learned
- at our Teens and Tweens Day (an inservice day for them), we had both Francophone and Anglophone students chattering away at various times in the day. It was truly an intergenerational day with grandparents and their grandkids, parents and children. Our age range that day went from 11 years to 80+. Yay!
- volunteers become more familiar with the kitchen
- there were 59 volunteers, many working multiple shifts
- 65% of our orders came from the wider community”.
To Barb, to all the volunteers in so many capacities (taste testers, recipe choosers, supply purchases, recipe figure-outers, measurers, mixers, dough makers, cookie bakers, cleaner-uppers, poster makers, poster deliverers, order form creators, order takers, promoters (radio/tv personalities!), packagers, sorters, order checkers, pick-up day greeters, tellers, table movers and floor sweepers and more) …to you KUC says “Thank you!”. Thanks for the fun and for the funds! Well done! And of course, thanks to all the shoppers! Thanks and appreciation to Derm who popped in throughout the process and took photos.