Trinity United Church, Vernon, hosts a Cultural Competency Course with three 5 hour sessions and the fourth session on Okanagan Indian Band Reserve: Sept. 9 & 23, Oct. 14 & 28.
Info/register: j.rainer@shaw .ca
Cultural competency is the ability to understand, communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures. It encompasses:
- Being aware of one’s own world view
- Developing positive attitudes towards cultural differences
- Gaining knowledge of different cultural practices and world views
- Developing skills for communication and interaction across cultures
- The ability to identify and challenge one’s own cultural assumptions, values and beliefs and to make a commitment to working towards equality in opportunity.