Kamloops United Church would like to hire a Music Coordinator from September 1, 2016, to August 31, 2017. For more details, please see below:
Kamloops United Church
Music Coordinator Position Guide
Responsibility and Accountability: The Music Coordinator is accountable to and takes direction from the Lead Minister. The Music Coordinator works with the Administrative Manager to plan the use of the church for music programs and events.
Compensation: This is a part time position with a salary of $4200.00 per year (350.00 per month).
Duties will begin on September 1, 2016 and end on August 31, 2017.
Job Statement: This position is responsible for creating and maintaining volunteer leadership and volunteer musicians for each Sunday service in addition to some “special services” such as Blue Christmas, Memorial Hymn Sing, etc.
There is an opportunity for creative leadership by introducing various music genres and additional instrumentalists into the musical life of the church.
- Identify the music needs of KUC in consultation with the Lead Minister, choir directors, Jazz Vespers coordinators, bell choir directors and others integral to providing musical services to the church.
- Meet regularly with the Lead Minister and service leaders to plan the musical requirements for a specific period of time, noting the seasons, focuses and themes of the church year.
- Identify musicians (keyboardists and others) who are willing to provide their musical talents in the services of KUC.
- Create a quarterly or more frequent schedule of musicians (choir directors, pianists, organists and others involved) making it available to the Lead Minister and the choir.
- Organize a meeting in September (prior to Homecoming Sunday) and in December or early January of all involved in music leadership (keyboardists, choir directors, and other musicians) to confirm schedules and discuss any ideas for the development of music in the life of KUC.
- Provide support to musicians (choir directors, keyboardists and bell choir directors) as they provide their services to KUC.
- Keep the choir informed of any issues, concerns or information around music and services.
- Ensure that the budget created and approved by Council Circle is not exceeded in the purchase of choir music.
- Responsible to find last moment replacements of musicians.
- Continue to seek musicians to enrich services (other instruments, guest musical appearances by choirs or groups, etc.).
Education and Experience: Musical training – vocal and/or other instruments.
Required skills and abilities:
- Knowledgeable about United Church principles, practises and ethos.
- Personable, sociable, able to meet, converse with and contact people in pursuit of singers, instrumentalists, keyboardists and directors to fulfill the music roles in KUC.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Diplomatic and tactful in dealing with others, with ability to maintain confidentiality.
- High level of organizational skills
- Flexible and have time available to attend meetings, rehearsals and consultations throughout the week.
- Computer and related skills would be an asset.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Participation in on-going workshops, seminars and courses
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
Kamloops Search Committee
421 St. Paul Street, Kamloops, B.C. V2C 2J7
Image courtesy of free clipart: http://www.clipartpanda.com/categories/music-notes-on-staff-clipart
Created: May 29, 2016
Approved by Council Circle _______________