British Columbia Reconciliation Week
A Request for Prayer Shawls for Indian Residential School Survivors
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) is holding its BC National Event in Vancouver from September 18 to 21, 2013.
During this gathering many survivors of Indian Residential Schools will be sharing their truth about their experience at the schools. We are invited to come and witness, learn and celebrate the resilience of Aboriginal cultures! At the Victoria Regional event hand knitted prayer shawls were given to many of the survivors by the Health Support workers. These gifts were greatly appreciated by those who received them.
We would like to continue this practice at the Vancouver TRC so we are inviting knitters to create one or more prayer shawls to be given to survivors as a sign of our respect and compassion and desire for healing and reconciliation.
Prayer Shawls may be dropped off by Sept. 8, 2013 at:
1. Eagle Ridge United Church, 2813 Glen Drive, Coquitlam
2. Highlands United Church, 3255 Edgemont Boulevard, North Vancouver
3. Northwood United Church, 8855 156th Street, Surrey BC
4. Ryerson United Church 2195 West 45th Avenue, Vancouver
5. Wilson Heights United Church 1634 East 41st Avenue, Vancouver (after Aug. 20, Tuesday-Friday: 9:30-2:30)
6. South Burnaby United Church, 7591 Gray Ave., Burnaby Mon-Friday 9:00-noon