PIT Stop Outreach Program – Annual Report – 2016
Meetings : Sunday 12:30 – 5:30
Contact: Rick Windjack
Purpose: To provide a hot, served meal to our guests. Our guests are marginalized or street entrenched community members including seniors, youths, families and adults. We strive to reduce the impacts of poverty by providing food and support in a caring and safe environment.
Highlights of the year: Rick became the Program Co-ordinator in March 2015 – 6,637 meals were served in 2015 – on par with 2014
– 22 different teams served in 2015 – Steelworkers did Thanksgiving Sunday with 35 volunteers and $1000 donated and 231 guests – Christmas dinner was served by Rotary Daybreak and served 225 guests. Because of community/individual donations, our total Christmas Outreach program cost net $344 – Rotary Daybreak donation of $1090 covered the purchase of the new shelving unit, 2nd baker’s rack & trays, and numerous kitchen items – We continued to build on strong relationships with COBS Bread, Kamloops Food Bank and United Way
– We have added many new teams and volunteers which has carried forth into 2016
Centre for Community and Spiritual Discovery:
Our guests express their appreciation with thanks and compliments continually at our meals. Our volunteers overwhelmingly have a positive and meaningful experience with PIT Stop. Many are returning veterans and many who are new, will come back. Whether or not it is spiritual significance that people find, without exception everyone who participates respects and cares that KUC is committed to this work.
– To continue to increase the teams involved with 3 new ones so far in first quarter 2016
– To continue to find teams that will provide both manpower and costs for their day
– To continue to increase the number of volunteers involved and to ensure their experience is meaningful and rewarding.
– To continue to respond to the growing need in our community for this service by ensuring that all that come to our meal will be fed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
PIT Stop Objective: to provide nourishment and outreach to people in our community.
- Donations of cash and food items from Kamloops United Church members, other local faith congregations, community organizations, businesses and individual members of the public
- Replacement items from the Kamloops United Thrift Shop
- Donations in-kind for special events such as Christmas.
- Kamloops Community Food Bank, Food Share Program
- Cost reductions from local businesses, bulk purchasing, sale items, creative shopping
- Every Saturday evening unsold fresh bread is collected from Cobs Bakery and distributed at PIT Stop the following day.
Rotary Clubs of Kamloops
Aberdeen Lions Club
St. Paul’s Anglican Church
Kamloops Food Bank
Cob’s Bread Bakery
Thompson Nicola Cariboo United Way
Community Living BC
Interior Health – Street Nurses & Dietician
Kamloops Homelessness Action Plan
Changing the Face of Poverty
New Life Mission
Elizabeth Fry Society
Many different teams have prepared and served the PIT Stop meals over the years. Teams have come from many of the Kamloops Rotary Clubs, Beta Sigma Phi Sorority, United Way, Thompson Rivers University, B.C. Ministry of Forests, Service Canada, Fulton & Co. Law Offices, Kamloops United Church, South West Community Church, Centre for Spiritual Living, Kamloops Unitarian Fellowship, Me to We school groups, and several teams comprised of groups of families and friends.
To contact Rick, the Co-ordinator of PIT Stop: email@example.com
2010 United Way Community Partnership Award, presented annually to an agency or group that demonstrates a willingness to partner with others in the community to provide an important service.